Re: Need text wrapping inside a column to avoid record wrapping(tabular output of 'select')

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Need text wrapping inside a column to avoid record wrapping(tabular output of 'select')
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 07/25/2018 09:40 AM, David Gauthier wrote:
> Hi:
>
> psql (9.6.7, server 9.1.9)  on RHEL6
>
> In order to avoid record wrapping in the tabular output of a "select"
> statement, I need to limit the width of certain columns.  For those
> columns, I would like to have text wrapping so as not to lose any
> information (IOW, I don't want to simply truncatate and lose info).
>
> Example:
>
> name           |age  |life_story
> |favorite_color
> ---------------+-----+------------------------------------------+--------------
> madame marie   | 123 | She was born a long time ago, blah, blah,| yellow
>                 |     | blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,|
>                 |     | blah, more-more-mmore-more-more,         |
>                 |     | andmore-andmore-andmore-andmore, blah,   |
>                 |     | blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah |
>                 |     | and now she's 123 years old              |
> ---------------+-----+------------------------------------------+---------------
>
> ... that sort of thing.  Also, line breaks in the "life_story" where
> they make sense, like on spaces, as you see in lines 3&4 of that column
>
> Is there an easy way to configure PG to do this ?

In psql:

create table wrap_test(name varchar, age integer, life_story varchar,
favorite_color varchar);

insert into wrap_test values ('madame marie', 123, 'She was born a long
time ago, blah, blah, yellow eblah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
blah, more-more-mmore-more-more, andmore-andmore-andmore-andmore, blah,
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah and now she''s 123 years old',
'yellow');

\pset format wrapped

select * from wrap_test ;

I am not showing output as email client distorts it.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com