Re: could recovery_target_timeline=latest be the default in standbymode?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: could recovery_target_timeline=latest be the default in standbymode?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 28/12/2018 00:15, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Yes, I was also thinking something among those lines, and the patch is
> a bit confusing by linking standby mode with latest timeline.  It
> seems to me that switching the default value to "latest" at GUC level
> would be the way to go, instead of picking up the TLI from the control
> file.  Introducing a new value which maps to the current empty value
> may be useful as well, like "control_file"?

OK, here are patches for this approach:

1. Add value 'current' for recovery_target_timeline
2. Change default of recovery_target_timeline to 'latest'

The first is really a fixup of the recovery.conf-removal patch.  In
<=PG11, you could not explicitly select the current timeline; it was
only available if you don't mention recovery_target_timeline at all.
The original patch contained a setting 'controlfile', similar to your
suggestion, but that sounds a bit low-level implementation detail to me.
 I like the suggestion 'current'.

The second then just changes the GUC default, without any special
treatment for standby mode.

Вложения