Re: Dynamic table

От A B
Тема Re: Dynamic table
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Your problem is currently sounding very much like an exam question; you
> seem to be arbitrarily making decisions without showing any real data.
> When you deal with real problems in the real world you're normally
> making compromises when you model things and hence the decisions
> wouldn't be as forced as you're making it.  Design is about picking and
> choosing between compromises and without knowing what the choices are
> you can't design anything, this is one of the problems with tests.

I wish it was just an exam question....

Show real data?
Well here it is:

customer | value1 | value2 | value3|
    1             5           3          4
    2             8           2          10

I hope you can believe me when I say that the names
value1,value2,value3 really are impossible to relate. I will not
decide upon those. Someone else is going to do that in the future. I
just have to make a structure that can handle all cases from "shoe
size" to "number of atoms in persons body"   (well, perhaps I can say
that the values will be in the 0...100 range, but that's about it.
There is really nothing else I know about how the system will be used
by other people. :-( I just know that I have to make them enter data
like this since it is a third party that need this kind of data.

<confession>yes I took some random values for the "real data" since I
don't know anything else about the data. </confession>