Re: Shorthand for foreign key indices

От John D. Burger
Тема Re: Shorthand for foreign key indices
Дата
Re: Shorthand for foreign key indices  (Brendan Jurd <direvus@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
>> By the way, I presume foreign key indices are used to check for
>> referential integrity on insert.  Can the query planner also use then
>> somehow?
>
> It can use them the same way it can use any other index.

Hmm, I guess I thought that "foreign key indices" were some special
kind of index.  For instance, I thought that Postgresql might
effectively pre-compute part of the information it needed to do a join
on the two relevant columns.

I'm guessing now that we're just talking about a regular index on a
column that happens to have a foreign key reference to another column.
Is that the case?

Thanks.

- John D. Burger
   MITRE