Re: The danger of deleting backup_label

От David Steele
Тема Re: The danger of deleting backup_label
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 10/11/23 18:22, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 05:06:45PM -0400, David Steele wrote:
>> That fails because there is a check to make sure the checkpoint is valid
>> when pg_control is loaded. Another possibility is to use a special LSN like
>> we use for unlogged tables. Anything >= 24 and < WAL segment size will work
>> fine.
>
> Do we have any reason to do that in the presence of a backup_label
> file anyway?  We'll know the LSN of the checkpoint based on what the
> base backup wants us to use.  Using a fake-still-rather-valid value
> for the LSN in the control file to bypass this check does not address
> the issue you are pointing at: it is just avoiding this check.  A
> reasonable answer would be, IMO, to just not do this check at all
> based on the control file in this case.

Yeah, that's fair. And it looks like we are leaning towards excluding
pg_control from the backup entirely, so the point is probably moot.

>>> If the contents of the control file are tweaked before sending it
>>> through a BASE_BACKUP, it would cover more than just pg_basebackup.
>>> Switching the way the control file is sent with new contents in
>>> sendFileWithContent() rather than sendFile() would be one way, for
>>> instance..
>>
>> Good point, and that makes this even more compelling. If we include
>> pg_control into backup_label then there is no need to modify pg_control (as
>> above) -- we can just exclude it from the backup entirely. That will
>> certainly require some rejigging in recovery but seems worth it for backup
>> solutions that can't easily modify pg_control. The C-based solutions can do
>> this pretty easily but it is a pretty high bar for anyone else.
>
> I have little idea about that, but I guess that you are referring to
> backrest here.

Sure, pgBackRest, but there are other backup solutions written in C. My
point is really that we should not depend on backup solutions being able
to manipulate C structs. It looks the the solution we are working
towards would not require that.

Regards,
-David