Re: BUG #15088: Can create subquery with duplicate column names

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: BUG #15088: Can create subquery with duplicate column names
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On 02/26/2018 01:34 AM, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      15088
> Logged by:          Tudor Bosman
> Email address:      tudorb@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.5.11
> Operating system:   Ubuntu 16.04
>
> This may not be a bug, but you can create a subquery that has ambiguous
> column names, and then you have no way to disambiguate between them, as the
> originating table names are no longer in scope.
>
> tudor=# create table t1 (x integer);
> CREATE TABLE
> tudor=# insert into t1 values (1);
> INSERT 0 1
> tudor=# create table t2 (x integer);
> CREATE TABLE
> tudor=# insert into t2 values (2);
> INSERT 0 1
> tudor=# select * from t1 cross join t2;
>  x | x
> ---+---
>  1 | 2
> (1 row)
> tudor=# select t1.x, t2.x from t1 cross join t2;
>  x | x
> ---+---
>  1 | 2
> (1 row)
> tudor=# select * from (select t1.x, t2.x from t1 cross join t2) a;
>  x | x
> ---+---
>  1 | 2
> (1 row)
>
> ... and the result now has two columns named x, and I can't tell them
> apart:
>
> tudor=# select t1.x from (select t1.x, t2.x from t1 cross join t2) a;
> ERROR:  missing FROM-clause entry for table "t1"
> LINE 1: select t1.x from (select t1.x, t2.x from t1 cross join t2) a...

Not really. That error means the "t1" table name is unknown at that part
of the plan, because you've the subselect has alias "a". You might also
write it like this:

    select t1.x from (select t1.x, t2.x from t1 cross join t2) AS a;

but the "AS" keyword is optional. So the "t1.x" reference is incorrect,
and the database complains about it.

You should have written the query like this:

    select a.x from (select t1.x, t2.x from t1 cross join t2) a;

at which point you'll get

    test=# select a.x from (select t1.x, t2.x from t1 cross join t2) a;
    ERROR:  column reference "x" is ambiguous
    LINE 1: select a.x from (select t1.x, t2.x from t1 cross join t2) a;
                   ^

which seems rather reasonable, I guess. The point is, you'll get an
error if (and only if) the database can't resolve any reference.

I wonder if SQL standard says something about this behavior, but if I
had to be I'd put my money on "our" behavior.

regards