Re: Built-in CTYPE provider

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Built-in CTYPE provider
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2024-01-11 at 18:02 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> Jeremy also raised a problem with old versions of psql connecting to
> new server: the \l and \dO won't work. Not sure exactly what to do
> there, but I could work around it by adding a new field rather than
> renaming (though that's not ideal).

I did a bit of research for a precedent, and the closest I could find
is that \dp was broken between 14 and 15 by commit 07eee5a0dc.

That is some precedent, but it's more narrow. I think that might
justify breaking \dO in older clients, but \l is used frequently.

It seems safer to just introduce new columns "datbuiltinlocale" and
"collbuiltinlocale". They'll be nullable anyway.

If we want to clean this up we can do so as a separate commit. There
are other parts of the catalog representation related to collation that
we might want to clean up as well.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis