Re: Poor performance after restoring database from snapshot on AWS RDS

От Shammat
Тема Re: Poor performance after restoring database from snapshot on AWS RDS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Sam Kidman schrieb am 03.06.2024 um 10:06:
> We get very poor performance in the staging environment after this
> restore takes place - after some usage it seems to get better perhaps
> because of caching.
>
> The staging RDS instance is a smaller size than production (it has
> 32GB ram and 8 vCPU vs production's 128GB ram and 32 vCPU) but the
> performance seems to much worse than this decrease in resources would
> account for.
>
> I have seen some advice that vacuum analyze should be run after the
> snapshot restore but I thought this was supposed to happen
> automatically. If we did run it manually how would that help?

autovacuum will kick in eventually - but only after some time (which
is what you are seeing).

In general after a bulk load (e.g. restore of a backup or importing
data in any other way) running vacuum to udpate statistics is highly
recommended