Re: "ago" times on buildfarm status page

От ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
Тема Re: "ago" times on buildfarm status page
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 9:40 AM Peter Eisentraut <
> peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
>> I find the time displays like
>>
>>     01:03 ago
>>
>> on the buildfarm status page unhelpful.
>>
>> First, I can never tell whether this is hours-minutes or minutes-seconds
>> -- there is probably a less ambiguous format available.
>>
>> But more importantly, the page doesn't say when it was generated, so a
>> relative time like this is meaningless.  The page might have most
>> recently reloaded last night.  That means when I look at the page, I
>> *always* have to reload it first to make sense of the times.
>>
>> I notice that the page source actually includes absolute times that are
>> then converted to relative using some JavaScript.  Could we perhaps just
>> turn that off?  Or preferably convert to local time.  I can much easier
>> make sense of an absolute local time: I can compare that to the clock in
>> the corner of the screen, and I can compare that, say, to a commit
>> timestamp.
>>

> It used to be that the "ago" part was generated on the server, but Andrew
> changed that to the fixed timestamp + javascript to improve cachability and
> thus performance. Perhaps now that it's that it could be as easy as adding
> a checkbox to the page (which could remember your preference in a cookie)
> that switches between the two modes?

The Javscript could also be made to update the "ago" part every minute,
and show the absoulte time as a tooltip, which is what pretty much every
other website does.

- ilmari
--
"A disappointingly low fraction of the human race is,
 at any given time, on fire." - Stig Sandbeck Mathisen