Re: [HACKERS] Current int & float overflow checking is slow.

От ilmari@ilmari.org (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Current int & float overflow checking is slow.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

>> 0003) Removes -fwrapv. I'm *NOT* suggesting we apply this right now, but
>>       it seems like an important test for the new facilities. Without
>>       0002, tests would fail after this, after it all tests run
>>       successfully.
>
> I suggest that if we think we don't need -fwrapv any more, we ought to
> remove it.  Otherwise, we won't find out if we're wrong.

Without -fwrapv signed overflow is undefined behaviour.  We should test
thoroughly with -ftrapv or -fsanitize=signed-integer-overflow to be
confident the code is free of such things.  We might even want to enable
-ftrapv by default in cassert-enabled builds.

- ilmari
--
"I use RMS as a guide in the same way that a boat captain would usea lighthouse.  It's good to know where it is, but
yougenerallydon't want to find yourself in the same spot." - Tollef Fog Heen