Re: Dropping training events

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Dropping training events
Дата
Re: Dropping training events  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Список pgsql-www
On 11/7/18 9:36 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I'd like to propose that we drop the ability to register training events
> on the www.postgresql.org <http://www.postgresql.org> site.
>
> Reasons:
>
> 1. It's basically a system set up to game, where it helps to flood with
> a lot of instances and then cancel them (often without actually removing
> the registration on the website, and our moderators certainly don't have
> the time to go double-check which instances are actually happening etc)

Yeah, I think this is the crux of it: there are some people who are
using the system fairly for promoting GA trainings with high-quality
content that do happen. And then there is the above, which unfortunately
is not just speculation but has been confirmed in multiple instances.

> 2. It takes a lot of work for our moderators

I will certainly +1 this bullet point.

> 3. Based on (1) it provides very little value to the end user the way it
> is now.

+1 for sure. Some of this is on us to clean up the UX (below).

> 4. And based on (3), in the end it also doesn't provide much value to
> the companies providing training.

Well, it must provide some value because organizations keep submitting
training events.

> Instead, I propose that we long-term merge this functionality into the
> "professional services" part of the site, as a "this provider provides
> both support and training" or "this provider provides just training"
> kind of fields. Now, that section of the site *also* needs a complete
> redesign and re-thought, but the problems to consider (avoid what's
> basically spam and figuring out how to get a listing thats actually
> useful to end users) are very similar between things like support and
> training in this context.

+1, but I think with the correct interface it will make things much
better for both our users and organizations that are helping to provide
professional services around the community.

> But short term,let's just drop them because they're useless today.

+1.

Jonathan

Вложения