Re: DB on mSATA SSD

От Chris Mair
Тема Re: DB on mSATA SSD
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Dear Postgresql mailing list,
>
> we use Postgresql 8.4.x on our Linux firewall distribution.
> Actually, we are moving from standard SATA disk to mSATA SSD solid drive, and we noticed that the DB, using lots of
indexes,is writing a lot.

> In some monthes, two test machine got SSD broken, and we are studying how to reduce write  impact for DB.
>
> Are there some suggestions with SSD drives?
> Putting the DB into RAM and backing up periodically to disk is a valid solutions?
>
> Or, is storing indexes on a ram drive possible?
>
> Thank you in advance for your appreciated interest!
>
> Best regards,
> Francesco

Hi,

I don't think that today's SSDs - and certainly not the server-grade ones -
will break due to write intensive loads.

Have a look at the SMART data for you drives, there should be some metrics
called "wear level count" or similar that gives some indications. I wouldn't
be surprised if you find that your broken drives had failures not related to
wear level.

If you're on Linux use smartctl.

Also, as others have pointed out 8.4 is out of support, so consider upgrading.

Bye,
Chris.