Re: Mail thread references in commits

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Mail thread references in commits
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 11/17/2016 01:02 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I love seeing references to email threads in commit messages. It would
> make them a lot friendlier though if a full http URL were included
> instead of just a Message-ID, i.e. instead of <foo1234@bar.com> put
> <https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/foo1234@bar.com>. I know this is
> a bit more trouble. but not that much, and it would make it very easy to
> follow with just a mouse click.

This thread as a whole is going on and on. Instead I thought I would
reply back to the OP and see where that goes.

I too like to see references in commit messages to the email threads. It
definitely makes it easier to track the collaboration of the commit.

I wonder if now is the time (again) to consider an issue tracker. Think
about it! This whole thread would be solved with a commit message that said:

Allow replicated slaves to load balance plans to take load off the
master per #18235 -- Robert Haas

Then all you have to do is hit #18235 into the issue tracker and viola!

I know our community historically has been against most things NIH but
if we step back objectively --- using an issue tracker for this is
certainly not any more crazy that implementing yet another new wheel.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564