Re: \timing interval

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: \timing interval
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 7/9/16 12:59 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> NAK --- if you're trying to do arithmetic on the numbers, converting
> them to hh:mm:ss notation isn't the best first step.  I think a separate
> setting somewhere to select the format would be good.  Please *don't*
> do "\timing interval" as that confuses the on/off state with the
> formatting selection.  Maybe a \pset option?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by wanting to do arithmetic on the
numbers.  My phrasing of the problem is that after a long query, you
might get output like this:

Time: 1234567.666 ms

which is pretty useless.

So I would like to have a format that is a bit more sensitive to the
scale of the numbers.  And I would like that by default, because I don't
really want to have to fiddle with the format and then have to re-run
the long query.  (Then I'd just do the division by 3600 or whatever
myself, and we haven't really improved usability.)

I'm not wedded to any particular format, but I think we can come up with
one that works in most situations.