Slony v. DBMirror

От Peter Wilson
Тема Slony v. DBMirror
Дата
Re: Slony v. DBMirror  (Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca>)
Список pgsql-general
Vlads thread on Slony against PGcluster made me go back to take another
look at Slony. I'd tried to get it going back in February when I needed
to build some replicated databases. Slony was my first choice because it
seemed to be the current 'hot topic'.

I couldn't get it to work - and having tried another couple of solutions
I settled on DBMirror which comes with Postgres in the 'contrib' directory.

Looking at Slony now, can someone tell me what the benefits of Slony are
over DBmirror? As far as I can see:
+ both are async Master->multiple slaves
+ both (I think) can do cascaded replication
+ neither replicate large objects
+ both require all tables to have primary keys
+ neither replicate schema changes
+ nether do automatic switch-over

All slony seems to offer is a different configuration system and the
ability to automatically propogate configuration changes. It seems this
could be added to DBmirror pretty easily so why a whole new project?

Pete
--
http://www.whitebeam.org
http://www.yellowhawk.co.uk