Re: Re-2: Problem with SqlState=23505 when inserting rows

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Re-2: Problem with SqlState=23505 when inserting rows
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 1/16/20 12:14 AM, Werner Kuhnle wrote:
> Thanks Michael und Adrian for your answers.
> I think that
> "
> My guess is that the SERIAL was defined for the column, then the data
> was added with id values, but the counter for the sequence behind the
> SERIAL was not updated to a value greater the the last id added.
> "
> is a correct description of what happens.
> For avoiding the need of an additional command for updating the sequence
> before every insert statement:

You don't have to update the sequence before every INSERT. For each
SERIAL column do this one time:

1) Find current max(id) for the column.

2) Update the the sequence:

select setval('seq_name', max_id);

 From then on the sequence will automatically increment the id with
values that are greater then those in the table and you will not get the
unique violation errors. The caveat is that if you manually supply an id
value then all bets are off.

For more information on sequences see:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-createsequence.html

For SERIAL see:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/datatype-numeric.html#DATATYPE-SERIAL

If you want more control over what is accepted for the value then you
can use an IDENTITY column:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-createtable.html

GENERATED { ALWAYS | BY DEFAULT } AS IDENTITY [ ( sequence_options ) ]

As to below, no.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com