Re: Performance of views

От Nikolas Everett
Тема Re: Performance of views
Дата
Список pgsql-general
We've been toying around with reworking our years old database schema and replacing the old tables with updatable views into the new schema.  The only real problem we've had with it is that queries to one of our views seem to be joining on unnecessary tables because the view does the join.  We don't need the columns provided by the join and the join is kind of costly, but performance has been great otherwise.

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Simon,
>
>>   * Higher overhead mapping to original tables and indexes
>
> This just plain isn't true in PG, at least, and I'd think most other
> sensible databases..

Note that, at least in older versions, MySQL completely materialized a
temporary table from a view, then used that for the view.  This is
horribly inefficient, and results in a lot of people thinking views
are slow.  Not sure if this has been addressed in MySQL yet, don't
really care anymore, since I rarely use mysql for anything anymore.