some PostgreSQL 12 release notes comments

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема some PostgreSQL 12 release notes comments
Дата
Re: some PostgreSQL 12 release notes comments  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: some PostgreSQL 12 release notes comments  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> * Client- and server-side encryption for authentication using GSSAPI

This is on the wire encryption, so I don't know why it says client-side
and server-side.  Proposal:

* Encrypted TCP/IP connections using GSSAPI encryption

in the major features section, and later

* Add GSSAPI encryption support (Robbie Harwood, Stephen Frost)

  This allows TCP/IP connections to be encrypted when using GSSAPI
  authentication without having to set up a separate encryption facility
  like SSL.

> * Discovery of LDAP servers if PostgreSQL is built with OpenLDAP

I would remove the "if" part from the major features list, since it's a
qualification of minor importance.  Instead I'd write something like

* Discovery of LDAP servers using DNS SRV

which is a clearer concept that people can easily recognize.

> * Allow data type name to use non-C collations

I'm not sure why that is listed in the "Migration" section.

It's also a bit confusing as a release note item relative to PostgreSQL
11.  I believe the changes were that "name" was made collation aware and
that the collation was set to "C" in the system catalogs (which is a
separate item later).  This group of items could use a reshuffling.