Re: Search by distance

От John D. Burger
Тема Re: Search by distance
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Oscar Picasso wrote:

> I guess I also need a database of the cities coordinates. Where could
> I find one?

You can download US data here:

   http://geonames.usgs.gov/domestic/download_data.htm

These are tables of geo entities with a number of columns, including
lat/long.  NGA (formerly NIMA) has similar data for non-US entities:

   http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/cntry_files.html

Note that these data sets include =lots= of entities, not just cities -
we've combined them into a DB with about 6 million items, and only
about 2.5 million are population centers (by our scheme).  Each of the
data sets has feature type columns that you can filter on, though.

- John Burger
   MITRE