Re: [Fwd: [PORTS] M$ SQL server DTS package equivalent in Postgres]

От Tomi N/A
Тема Re: [Fwd: [PORTS] M$ SQL server DTS package equivalent in Postgres]
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> Besides being easy to schedule and very flexible, manipulating data
> with queries is extremely powerful and fairly easy to maintain
> assuming you know a little SQL -- thanks to postgresql's huge array of
> built in string manipulation functions.  Your skills learned here will
> pay off using the database as well for other things.
>
> Not only that, but this approach will be fast since it is declarative
> and handles entire tables at once as opposed to DTS-ish solutions
> which tend to do processing record by record.  Not to mention they are
> overcomplicated and tend to suck. (DTS does have the ability to read
> from any ODBC source which is nice...but that does not apply here).

Different strokes for different folks, it seems.
I'd argue that COPY followed by a barrage of plpgsql statements can't
be used for anything but the most trivial data migration cases (where
it's invaluable) where you have line-organized data input for a
hand-full of tables at most.
In my experience (which is probably very different from anyone
else's), most real world situations include data from a number of very
different sources, ranging from the simplest (.csv and, arguably,
.xml) to the relatively complex (a couple of proprietary databases,
lots of tables, on-the fly row merging, splitting or generating
primary keys, date format problems and general pseudo-structured,
messed up information).
Once you've got your data in your target database (say, pgsql), using
SQL to manipulate the data makes sense, but it is only the _final_
step of an average, real world data transformation.

Cheers,
t.n.a.