Re: Asynchronous I/O Support

От NikhilS
Тема Re: Asynchronous I/O Support
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 10/18/06, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 08:04:29PM +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> >"bgwriter doing aysncronous I/O for the dirty buffers that it is
> >supposed to sync"
> >Another decent use-case?

Good idea, but async i/o is generally poorly supported.

Async i/o is stably supported on most *nix (apart from Linux 2.6.*) plus Windows.
Guess it would be still worth it, since one fine day 2.6.* will start supporting it properly too.

Regards,
Nikhils

> Is it worth considering using readv(2) instead?

Err, readv allows you to split a single consecutive read into multiple
buffers. Doesn't help at all for reads on widely areas of a file.

Have a ncie day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/

--
All the world's a stage, and most of us are desperately unrehearsed.