Re: Building from source vs RPMs

От Scott Mead
Тема Re: Building from source vs RPMs
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 3:27 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
On Tuesday 28 July 2009 02:53:19 Christophe Pettus wrote:
> I'm moving from a long time in BSD-land to using Linux.  I've always
> been in the habit of building PostgreSQL from the source tarballs.  On
> Linux, is there an advantage either way to using the RPMs as opposed
> to building from source?  Thanks!

Just to offer another opinion,  source compiles are much easier to control, you're not subject to the author's feelings on certain options.  Also, RPMs usually over-write a version of PG when you upgrade, so you can't run multiple versions side-by-side, and upgrading becomes tougher (unless you have a second box that is).

Just my 2 cents.

--Scott