Re: [HACKERS] Secondary index access optimizations

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Secondary index access optimizations
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017/09/02 12:44, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 9:23 PM, Konstantin Knizhnik
> <k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
>> postgres=# explain select * from bt where k between 1 and 20000 and v = 100;
>>                               QUERY PLAN
>>  Append  (cost=0.29..15.63 rows=2 width=8)
>>    ->  Index Scan using dti1 on dt1  (cost=0.29..8.30 rows=1 width=8)
>>          Index Cond: (v = 100)
>>    ->  Index Scan using dti2 on dt2  (cost=0.29..7.33 rows=1 width=8)
>>          Index Cond: (v = 100)
>>          Filter: (k <= 20000)
>> (6 rows)
>
> +1
>
> This seems like a good feature to me: filtering stuff that is
> obviously true is a waste of CPU cycles and may even require people to
> add redundant stuff to indexes.  I was pondering something related to
> this over in the partition-wise join thread (join quals that are
> implied by partition constraints and should be discarded).
>
> It'd be interesting to get Amit Langote's feedback, so I CC'd him.
> I'd be surprised if he and others haven't got a plan or a patch for
> this down the back of the sofa.

I agree that that's a good optimization in the cases it's correct.  Given
that check_index_predicates() already applies the same optimization when
considering using a partial index, it might make sense to try to do the
same even earlier for the table itself using its CHECK / NOT NULL
constraints as predicates (I said *earlier* because
relation_excluded_by_constrains happens for a relation before we look at
its indexes).  Also, at the end of relation_excluded_by_constraints() may
not be such a bad place to do this.

By the way, I read in check_index_predicates() that we should not apply
this optimization if the relation in question is a target of UPDATE /
DELETE / SELECT FOR UPDATE.

Thanks,
Amit

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] CLUSTER command progress monitor
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] CLUSTER command progress monitor