Re: documentation on HOT

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: documentation on HOT
Дата
Re: documentation on HOT  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
Re: documentation on HOT  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-docs
On 7/22/22 8:51 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 10:02:18PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb  6, 2022 at 09:29:56PM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>>> I agree with Bruce's point that we should have a new section (or
>>> subsection). As I mentioned in my previous post, given HOT involves
>>> indexing, I would suggest putting it there.
>>>
>>> I think that something that follows the general outline of Laurenz's post
>>> would satisfy the user requirements. It explains at a high level what HOT
>>> is, it's advantages, and how it works.
>>
>> Attached is a patch that adds a new HOT section to the storage chapter.
>
> I wasn't happy with the last paragraph so I added some more details.
> URL contents updated too:
>
>     https://momjian.us/tmp/pgsql/storage-hot.html

Thanks! This is great. Probably the most concise and clear explanation I
have seen for HOT, which is exactly what we need for the docs :)

A few suggestions:

s/Fortunately, there is/To help reduce overhead, PostgreSQL has/

s/In summary, h/H/

 > You can increase the change of HOT updates by using non-default table
fillfactor settings.

I think we should expand on this and explain how adjusting "fillfactor"
will affect this. I think that may change the final sentence too.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения