Re: Referential integrity using constant in foreign key

От Andrus Moor
Тема Re: Referential integrity using constant in foreign key
Дата
Re: Referential integrity using constant in foreign key  ("Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org>)
Список pgsql-general
Thomas,

thank you for reply. There was a typo in my code. Second table should be

 CREATE TABLE info (
 code1 CHAR(10),
 code2 CHAR(10),
 FOREIGN KEY ('1', code1) REFERENCES classifier,
 FOREIGN KEY ('2', code2) REFERENCES classifier
 );

I try to explain my problem more precicely.

I can implement the referential integrity which I need in the following way:

CREATE TABLE classifier (
category CHAR(1),
code CHAR(10),
PRIMARY KEY (category,code)  );

CREATE TABLE info (
code1 CHAR(10),
code2 CHAR(10),
constant1  CHAR default '1',
constant2  CHAR default '2',
FOREIGN KEY (constant1, code1) REFERENCES classifier,
FOREIGN KEY (constant2, code2) REFERENCES classifier
);

This implementation requires 2 additional columns (constant1 and constant2)
which have always same values, '1' and '2' respectively, in all info table
rows.

I created those dummy columns since Postgres does not allow to write
REFERENCES clause like

CREATE TABLE info (
code1 CHAR(10),
code2 CHAR(10),
FOREIGN KEY ('1', code1) REFERENCES classifier,
FOREIGN KEY ('2', code2) REFERENCES classifier
);

Is it possible to implement referential integrity without adding additional
dummy columns to info table ?