Re: multi line text data/query ?bug?

От Sim Zacks
Тема Re: multi line text data/query ?bug?
Дата
Re: multi line text data/query ?bug?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
In any case, there are 2 correct solutions to the problem for the case of
postgresql.
1) Database standard - postgresql chooses a newline standard and every
client must support that if they support postgresql. Either put the onus on
the client developers to override the OS standard and support the postgresql
standard, or have the db convert the incoming newlines into the db standard.

2) Server's OS - the server must convert any new lines coming in to the
standard that it expects. This is similar to an ftp client that converts
newlines on the transfer. That means that data sent to a Windows server with
an LF will be converted to a CRLF and vice versa.

The data restore function will also have to follow the above procedures to
make sure you can take data from one server to the other without
compromising integrity.

Without one of these solutions, PostGreSQL is not compatible between servers
and clients.
A query written on any client should return the same result. The query being
the visible appearance on the screen. That is what the users would expect to
have returned.

"Marco Colombo" <pgsql@esiway.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, Sim Zacks wrote:
>
> > While I would agree with you that from a purely technical standpoint,
the
> > user inserted into the database a CRLF and a query with just an LF does
not
> > exactly match that, from a users and more practical perspective, that
does
> > not make sense at all. That is why I surrounded the  word bug in ??.
> >
> > I would say that from a users perspective it qualifies as a bug because
they
> > did not put in specific binary characters. They want a newline. From a
> > database standards perspective, I would argue that any database that
allows
> > connections from a client without qualifying a required operating system
> > should be OS neutral.
> >
> > I would say it is a bug from a users perspective because the exact same
> > query works differently from different clients. Since the user does not
> > choose what binary characters to put in, they are invisible to the user.
> > Anything that is completely invisible to the user should not be
considered
> > valid qualifying data.
> >
> > As there is no postgresql database standard, such as "all newlines are
unix
> > newlines" it is impossible to write a client that will necessarily
return
> > the data that you want.
> >
> > This is the exact problem we are having with Python right now, as a
Windows