Re: multi line text data/query ?bug?

От Sim Zacks
Тема Re: multi line text data/query ?bug?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
While I would agree with you that from a purely technical standpoint, the
user inserted into the database a CRLF and a query with just an LF does not
exactly match that, from a users and more practical perspective, that does
not make sense at all. That is why I surrounded the  word bug in ??.

I would say that from a users perspective it qualifies as a bug because they
did not put in specific binary characters. They want a newline. From a
database standards perspective, I would argue that any database that allows
connections from a client without qualifying a required operating system
should be OS neutral.

I would say it is a bug from a users perspective because the exact same
query works differently from different clients. Since the user does not
choose what binary characters to put in, they are invisible to the user.
Anything that is completely invisible to the user should not be considered
valid qualifying data.

As there is no postgresql database standard, such as "all newlines are unix
newlines" it is impossible to write a client that will necessarily return
the data that you want.

This is the exact problem we are having with Python right now, as a Windows
client cannot write a python function to be run on a linux server.