Re: Output affected rows in EXPLAIN

От kuroda.keisuke@nttcom.co.jp
Тема Re: Output affected rows in EXPLAIN
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi hackers,

Indeed, I think it is a little confusing that when executing
EXPLAIN(ANALYZE), even though an update is actually occurring,
the commandtag of the update result is not returned.

However, the manual also describes the information that will be
affected when EXPLAIN (ANALYZE) is executed as important information.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-explain.html

Also, in most cases, users who use EXPLAIN(ANALYZE) only want
an execution plan of a statement.
If command tags are not required, this can be controlled using
the QUIET variable, but command tags other than EXPLAIN will also
be omitted, increasing the scope of the effect.
We can check the number of updated rows from execute plan,
I think there is no need to return the command tag
when EXPLAIN(ANALYZE) is executed by default.

## patch and QUIET=off(default)

postgres=# explain (analyze) insert into a values (1);
                                         QUERY PLAN
  Insert on a  (cost=0.00..0.01 rows=0 width=0) (actual time=0.227..0.228
rows=0 loops=1)
    ->  Result  (cost=0.00..0.01 rows=1 width=4) (actual
time=0.013..0.015 rows=1 loops=1)
  Planning Time: 0.152 ms
  Execution Time: 0.480 ms
(4 rows)

INSERT 0 1

## patch and QUIET=on(psql work quietly)

'INSERT 0 1' is omitted both 'explain(analyze) and 'INSERT'.

postgres=# \set QUIET on
postgres=# explain (analyze) insert into a values (1);
                                         QUERY PLAN
  Insert on a  (cost=0.00..0.01 rows=0 width=0) (actual time=0.058..0.059
rows=0 loops=1)
    ->  Result  (cost=0.00..0.01 rows=1 width=4) (actual
time=0.004..0.005 rows=1 loops=1)
  Planning Time: 0.059 ms
  Execution Time: 0.117 ms
(4 rows)