Re: [HACKERS] Creating backup history files for backups taken from standbys

От David Steele
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Creating backup history files for backups taken from standbys
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Creating backup history files for backups taken from standbys  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 9/18/17 7:26 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 8:14 AM, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
>> On 8/31/17 11:56 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>> Here is an updated patch with refreshed documentation, as a result of
>>> 449338c which was discussed in thread
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/d4d951b9-89c0-6bc1-b6ff-d0b2dd5a8966@pgmasters.net.
>>> I am just outlining the fact that a backup history file gets created
>>> on standbys and that it is archived.
>>
>> The patch looks good overall.  It applies cleanly and passes all tests.
>>
>> One question.  Do we want to create this file all the time (as written),
>> or only when archive_mode = always?
>>
>> It appears that CleanupBackupHistory() will immediately remove the
>> history file when archive_mode != always so it seems useless to write
>> it.  On the other hand the code is a bit simpler this way.  Thoughts?
>
> With archive_mode = off, the bytes of the backup history file are
> still written to disk, so my take on the matter is to keep the code
> simple.

I'm OK with that.

I'll give Masahiko some time to respond before marking it RFC.

Regards,
--
-David
david@pgmasters.net