Re: How to watch for schema changes

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: How to watch for schema changes
Дата
Re: How to watch for schema changes
Список pgsql-general
On 07/11/2018 08:46 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
> Hi, guys,
>

> On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 5:38 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>> On 07/09/2018 01:49 PM, Igor Korot wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, Adrian

>>> Just a thought...
>>> Is it possible to create a trigger for a system table? Or this
>>> operation is restricted
>>

>> Easy enough to test. As postgres super user:
>>
>> test_(postgres)# create trigger info_test before insert on pg_class execute
>> procedure ts_update();
>>
>> ERROR:  permission denied: "pg_class" is a system catalog
>
> But
>
> draft=# CREATE TRIGGER info_test AFTER INSERT ON
> information_schema.tables EXECUTE PROCEDURE test();
> ERROR:  function test() does not exist
>
> So it looks like this should be possible?

No, see:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/sql-createtrigger.html

AFTER trigger on views are STATEMENT level only.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/plpgsql-trigger.html

"NEW

     Data type RECORD; variable holding the new database row for
INSERT/UPDATE operations in row-level triggers. This variable is
unassigned in statement-level triggers and for DELETE operations.
OLD

     Data type RECORD; variable holding the old database row for
UPDATE/DELETE operations in row-level triggers. This variable is
unassigned in statement-level triggers and for INSERT operations.
"

So you won't know what was INSERTed in row.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com