Re: Postgresql and Athlon64 ?

От William Yu
Тема Re: Postgresql and Athlon64 ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Guy Rouillier wrote:
> NTPT wrote:
>
>>Will I have some advantages, better performance etc using postgres
>>7.4 or postgres 8.x on Athlon64 system with 64 bit Linux distro ?Are
>>there asome benchmark available or someone  personal experience ?
>>

>>Or should I stay in 32 bit platform  for a while ?
>

> PG 8 works fine on 64-bit Linux running on AMD64.  So I wouldn't stay on
> a 32-bit platform for that reason.  You are aware, of course, that
> Opteron is better equipped than Athlon64 for memory-intensive tasks:
> dual channel memory, (usually) more on-chip cache, etc.  Don't have any
> hard benchmark numbers, but AMD claims about a 15% general performance
> improvement switching from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Actually, A64s come in multiple flavors -- single channel, dual channel,
512KB L2, 1MB L2. The fastest A64 FXs are actually faster than their
corresponding Opteron cousins because not only do they have the same 2x
memory channel and 1MB cache -- but their unbuffered memory has lower
latency than registered memory that Opterons must use.

Of course, I wouldn't run a server without registered ECC memory so the
point is moot anyways. Plus you are limited to much less memory using
unbuffered memory.