Re: Using Epoch to save timestamps in 4 bytes?

От Francisco Reyes
Тема Re: Using Epoch to save timestamps in 4 bytes?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian writes:

>> I am looking at tens of millions of rows, which is why my predecessor may
>> have used integer to store epoch to save space.
>
> Our timestamp has a much larger range than a 4-byte time_t, docs say:
>
>         <entry>4713 BC</entry>
>         <entry>294276 AD</entry>

Given that all of our dates will fall within what we can store in 4bytes,
what would be the easiest way to use epoch as a timestamp?

Create a couple of functions so our developers can use a date representation
like '20080508 12:40:00' and have the functions tranlate strings to epoch
and back?