Tsearch2 index size

От richard@armchair.mb.ca
Тема Tsearch2 index size
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I am running versions 8.1.2 and I installed 8.2B last week.  I dumped
the data from a rather large (several million records) from the old into the
new version.

My two observations are as follows... Also, keep in mind these are truly
just observations, I didn't use any benchmarking tools.  If someone can
point me to a link of performance tools, I'd be happy to try them and report
back!

1. The release notes indicate "more efficient vacuuming."  However, both
vacuums seems to take about the same amount of time, ie. approx: 9 hours.
Does "more efficient" simply mean, less IO/CPU busyness?  This one doesn't
really bother me, the next one does...

Here are my vacuum parms, I used the same ones for both versions, of
course.
----------
maintenance_work_mem = 400000 # Unnecessarily high, I know.... I left it                             # for comparison's
sake.
vacuum_cost_delay = 50
vacuum_cost_page_hit = 1
vacuum_cost_page_miss = 10
vacuum_cost_page_dirty = 20
vacuum_cost_limit = 2000

2. I have a tsearch2 index which is 756MB in size in 8.1.2 but balloons to
910MB in 8.2!  These numbers were taken right after a REINDEX.  Normally, I
wouldn't care about physical index size, but this particular index is
sitting on a ramdisk, so size really does matter.  I see that the tsearch2
type was diddled with in 8.2.  Is this an intentional change to improve the
tsearch2 performance?

Thank you for advice or abuse you give.  No.  Wait.  No abuse please.

Richard Whidden