Re: Inserts optimization?

От Francisco Reyes
Тема Re: Inserts optimization?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Jim C. Nasby writes:

> On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 02:59:23PM -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
>> In RAID 10 would it matter that WALL is in the same RAID set?
>> Would it be better:
>> 4 disks in RAID10 Data
>> 2 disks RAID 1 WALL
>> 2 hot spares
>
> Well, benchmark it with your app and find out, but generally speaking
> unless your database is mostly read you'll see a pretty big benefit to
> seperating WAL from table/index data.

That will not be easy to compare.. it would mean setting up the machine..
trashing it.. then redoing the whole setup..

I am leaning towards using pgbench against the current machine to see what
parameters affect inserts.. perhaps also doing dome tests with just inserts
from a file. Then using the same setups on the next machine and just go with
RAID10 on the 6 disks. Split the raid into 10 may give me space issues to
deal with.

Will also find out if the app, Bacula, batches transactions or not.