Re: [ANNOUNCE] USENET vs Mailing Lists Poll ...

От Marc@pyrenet.fr, G.Fournier@pyrenet.fr, From@pyrenet.fr:
Тема Re: [ANNOUNCE] USENET vs Mailing Lists Poll ...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
bill_harris@facilitatedsystems.com (Bill Harris) writes:

>"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:

>> "If there was an official newsgroup for postgresql, would you switch
>> to using Usenet from using the mailing lists?"

>> As a side note, for those that do vote 'yes', please note that there
>> is an official pgsql.* hierarchy gated from the mailing lists, that is
>> available at news.postgresql.org, if you do wish to use a news reader
>> vs a mail reader ...

>FWIW, I voted yes, but my vote depended upon it being a
>comp.databases.postgresql.* hierarchy, done according to USENET
>guidelines.  I sense that would be a lot more important for PostgreSQL
>in the long term and a lot more sustainable in general than a pgsql.*
>hierarchy.  It's been my experience that processes done outside the norm
>tend to have extra problems along the way that cost more than the
>immediate gratification is worth, even if it does seem more painful at
>the time.

Just as an FYI ... the latest RFD is for *one* comp.databases.postgresql
group to be created, that is not-gated ... this means that those using it
would not have the benefit(s) that those using the pgsql.* hierarchy do,
namely access to the wealth of knowledge/experience of those on the
mailing lists ...

I had posed the 'who would use USENET' question on -hackers previous to
the poll, and the general opinion was "not in this life time" by ppl like
PeterE, TomL, JoshuaD, etc ... the thread can be seen:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2004-11/msg01110.php