Re: Some quick Opteron 32-bit/64-bit results

От William Yu
Тема Re: Some quick Opteron 32-bit/64-bit results
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Greg Stark wrote:
> William Yu <wyu@talisys.com> writes:
>

>>Biggest speedup I've found yet is the backup process (PG_DUMP --> GZIP). 100%
>>faster in 64-bit mode. This drastic speed might be more the result of 64-bit
>>GZIP though as I've seen benchmarks in the past showing encryption/compression
>>running 2 or 3 times faster in 64-bit mode versus 32-bit.
>

> Isn't this a major kernel bump too? So a different scheduler, different IO
> scheduler, etc?

I'm sure there's some speedup due to the kernel bump. I really didn't
have the patience to even burn the FC2 32-bit CDs much less install both
32-bit & 64-bit FC2 in order to have a more accurate baseline comparison.

However, that being said -- when you see huge speed increases like 50%
100% for dump+gzip, it's doubtful the kernel/process scheduler/IO
scheduler could have made that drastic of a difference. Maybe somebody
else who has done a 2.4 -> 2.6 upgrade can give us a baseline to
subtract from my numbers.