Re: Help specifying new machine

От Raoul Buzziol
Тема Re: Help specifying new machine
Дата
Re: Help specifying new machine  (William Yu <wyu@talisys.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
> You're not going to be able to get a Dual Athlon MP for the same price
> as a single Xeon. A few years back, this was the case because Xeon CPUs
> & MBs had a huge premium over Athlon. This is no longer true mainly
> because the number of people carrying Athlon MP motherboards has dropped
> down drastically. Go to pricewatch.com and do a search for 760MPX -- you
> get a mere 8 entries. Not surprisingly because who would not want to
> spend a few pennies more for a much superior Dual Opteron? The few
> sellers you see now just keep stuff in inventory for people who need
> replacement parts for emergencies and are willing to pay up the nose
> because it is an emergency.

I saw pricewatch.com and you're right.

I looked for some benchmarks, and I would know if I'm right on:
- Dual Opteron 246 have aproximately the same performance of a Dual Xeon 3Gh
(Opteron a little better)
- Opteron system equal or cheeper than Xeon system.

As I'm not a hardware expert I would know if my impressions were right.

Thanx, Raoul