Re: Slow pg_publication_tables with many schemas and tables

От Edilmar Alves
Тема Re: Slow pg_publication_tables with many schemas and tables
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

Hi,

Em 26/09/2019 19:11, Tom Lane escreveu:
Edilmar Alves <edilmaralves@intersite.com.br> writes:
I use PG 11.5 into CentOS6 server, with 50 schemas, exactly equals in
tables structure, and more than 400 tables/schema. Then, there is more
than 20000 tables.
Possibly you should rethink that design, but ...

My design is this because I have a system with 50 enterprises using the same server.

Before each enterprise used a separated database, and my webapp had a connection pool

for each database. Then, if for example, my connection pool had minconn=10 and maxconn=20,

it was totalminconn=500 and totalmaxconn=1000. When I migrated to just one database and 50

schemas, it was so better to manage just one connection pool, minor hardware resource usage.

I changed the original PG view like said in the above thread:
CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW pg_catalog.pg_publication_tables AS
SELECT
P.pubname AS pubname,
N.nspname AS schemaname,
C.relname AS tablename
FROM pg_publication P, pg_class C
JOIN pg_namespace N ON (N.oid = C.relnamespace),
LATERAL pg_get_publication_tables(P.pubname)
WHERE C.oid = pg_get_publication_tables.relid;
but the problem continues. It is very slow to process the query used by
replication system:
SELECT DISTINCT t.schemaname, t.tablename FROM
pg_catalog.pg_publication_tables t WHERE t.pubname IN ('mypubschema');
What do you get from EXPLAIN ANALYZE for that?

The Analyze from original VIEW and the VIEW suggested below

for PGv12 update have a flow diagram very similar, just one

step better in the updated version, for my cenario with 50 schemas.

After this, I changed the view above to this:
CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW pg_catalog.pg_publication_tables AS
SELECT p.pubname, c.schemaname, c.tablename
FROM pg_publication p
JOIN pg_tables c ON p.pubname = c.schemaname;
And the query below became very fast:
As a wise man once said, I can make my program arbitrarily fast
if it doesn't have to give the right answer ... and this query
obviously doesn't produce the correct answer, except in the
contrived special case where the content of a publication is
exactly the content of a schema.  So I don't see what your
point is here.

I know my VIEW is not a general purpose solution.

I just submitted this message to the group because

in this kind of situation of many schemas and tables/schema,

the original VIEW and the VIEW below suggested to become

the new on in PGv12 run very slow.

Please see

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slow_Query_Questions

regarding useful ways to present performance problems.
Вложения