Re: About method of PostgreSQL's Optimizer

От Pryscila B Guttoski
Тема Re: About method of PostgreSQL's Optimizer
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Jonah,

Thank's for your email, I really appreciate your opinions.

Is it interesting to use both techniques? For example:
Given a query, an optimizer:
1. Generates one of the possible execution plans.
2. Does transformations on the original plan, based on rules and
heuristics, resulting in new alternative plans.
3. Evaluates the cost of generated plans by using statistics.
4. Keeps plans that have lower cost than the original plan
5. Repeat 2-4 over the new alternative plans.
What do you think about it? Are there any restrictions that I haven't seen?

About other method...
Have you heard about using PDDL ("Planning Domain Definition
Language") for query optimization?

[]'s
Pryscila