Re: Tuning the configuration

От Eric Pierce
Тема Re: Tuning the configuration
Дата
Re: Tuning the configuration
Список pgsql-performance
From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org <pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org> on behalf of Evgeniy Shishkin
<itparanoia@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 7:11 AM
To: Andrea Suisani
Cc: mfatticcioni@mbigroup.it; pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Tuning the configuration

> On 11 Dec 2014, at 15:02, Andrea Suisani <sickpig@opinioni.net> wrote:
>
> On 12/10/2014 11:44 AM, Maila Fatticcioni wrote:
>> 2- I would like to use the two SDD to store the wal file. Do you think
>> it is useful or how should I use them?
>
> I definitely would give it a try.
>

> I don't understand the logic behind using drives,
> which are best for random io, for sequent io workloads.

> Better use 10k sas with BBU raid for wal, money wise.

Very much agree with this.  Because SSD is fast doesn't make it suited for certain things, and a streaming sequential
100%write workload is one of them.   I've worked with everything from local disk to high-end SAN and even at the high
endwe've always put any DB logs on spinning disk.  RAID1 is generally sufficient.  SSD is king for read heavy random
I/Oworkload.