Re: Multidimensional Histograms

От Andrei Lepikhov
Тема Re: Multidimensional Histograms
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 8/1/2024 01:36, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> On 1/7/24 18:26, Andrei Lepikhov wrote:

>>> No idea, I haven't thought about that very much. Presumably the existing
>>> hooks are insufficient because they're per-attnum? I guess it would make
>>> sense to have a hook for all the attnums of the relation, but I'm not
>>> sure it'd be enough to introduce a new extended statistics kind ...
>>
>> I got stuck on the same problem Alexander mentioned: we usually have
>> large tables with many uniformly distributed values. In this case, MCV
>> doesn't help a lot.
>>
>> Usually, I face problems scanning a table with a filter containing 3-6
>> ANDed quals. Here, Postgres multiplies selectivities and ends up with a
>> less than 1 tuple selectivity. But such scans, in reality, mostly have
>> some physical sense and return a bunch of tuples. It looks like the set
>> of columns representing some value of composite type.
>
> Understood. That's a fairly common scenario, and it can easily end up
> with rather terrible plan due to the underestimate.
>
>> Sometimes extended statistics on dependency helps well, but it expensive
>> for multiple columns.
>
> Expensive in what sense? Also, how would a multidimensional histogram be
> any cheaper?
Maybe my wording needed to be more precise. I didn't implement
multidimensional histograms before, so I don't know how expensive they
are. I meant that for dependency statistics over about six columns, we
have a lot of combinations to compute.

>> And sometimes I see that even a trivial histogram
>> on a ROW(x1,x2,...) could predict a much more adequate value (kind of
>> conservative upper estimation) for a clause like "x1=N1 AND x2=N2 AND
>> ..." if somewhere in extension we'd transform it to ROW(x1,x2,...) =
>> ROW(N1, N2,...).
>
> Are you guessing the histogram would help, or do you know it'd help? I
> have no problem believing that for range queries, but I think it's far
> less clear for simple equalities. I'm not sure a histograms would work
> for that ...

I added Teodor Sigaev to the CC of this email - He has much more user
feedback on this technique. As I see, having a histogram over a set of
columns, we have top selectivity estimation for the filter. I'm not sure
how good a simple histogram is in that case, too, but according to my
practice, it works, disallowing usage of too-optimistic query plans.

> Maybe it'd be possible to track more stuff for each bucket, not just the
> frequency, but also ndistinct for combinations of columns, and then use
> that to do better equality estimates. Or maybe we could see how the
> "expected" and "actual" bucket frequency compare, and use that to
> correct the equality estimate? Not sure.
Yes, it is in my mind, too. Having such experimental stuff as an
extension(s) in GitHub, we could get some community feedback.

> But perhaps you have some data to demonstrate it'd actually help?
It should be redirected to Teodor, but I will consider translating messy
real-life reports into a clear example.

>> For such cases we don't have an in-core solution, and introducing a hook
>> on clause list estimation (paired with maybe a hook on statistics
>> generation) could help invent an extension that would deal with that
>> problem. Also, it would open a way for experiments with different types
>> of extended statistics ...
> I really don't know how to do that, or what would it take. AFAICS the
> statistics system is not very extensible from external code. Even if we
> could add new types of attribute/extended stats, I'm not sure the code
> calculating the estimates could use that.
I imagine we can add an analysis routine and directly store statistics
in an extension for demonstration and experimental purposes, no problem.

--
regards,
Andrei Lepikhov

От: John Naylor
Сообщение: Re: Change GUC hashtable to use simplehash?
От: Amul Sul
Сообщение: Re: ALTER COLUMN ... SET EXPRESSION to alter stored generated column's expression