Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: [HACKERS] PSQL commands:\quit_if, \quit_unless)

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: \if, \elseif, \else, \endif (was Re: [HACKERS] PSQL commands:\quit_if, \quit_unless)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2/2/17 4:39 PM, Corey Huinker wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com
> <mailto:Jim.Nasby@bluetreble.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think the issue here is that the original case for this is a user
>     accidentally getting into an \if and then having no clue what's
>     going on. That's similar to what happens when you miss a quote or a
>     semicolon. We handle those cases with %R, and I think %R needs to
>     support if as well.
>
>     Perhaps there's value to providing more info (active branch, etc),
>     but ISTM trying to do that will just confuse the original (%R) case.
>

> Jim,
>
> After spending a few minutes to familiarize myself with %R, I'm in
> agreement with your second statement (adding if-else to %R will just
> confuse %R). However, your first statement seems to indicate the
> opposite. Can you elaborate?

My point was that we need a way for users to know if they're stuck in an
\if block, and right now that's handled with %R (inside transaction,
parens, etc). My other point is that adding all the extra info to %R
would be folly.

Since the current consensus is to be very verbose about \if, this is
obviously a non-issue. Maybe worth adding a 'I' case to %R, but no big
deal if that doesn't happen.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)