Re: Primary Key index with Include

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Primary Key index with Include
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/28/18 11:55 AM, PegoraroF10 wrote:
> As you know version 11 gives us the possibility to include aditional columns
> to an index.
> So, if I recreate all my primary key indexes to contain a description
> column, like ...
>
> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX CONCURRENTLY Products_pk ON Products(Product_ID)
> INCLUDE(Name);
> ALTER TABLE Products ADD CONSTRAINT Products_pk PRIMARY KEY(Product_ID)
> USING INDEX Products_pk
>
> Then, when I do
> select Item_ID, Product_ID, Name from Items inner join Products
> using(Product_ID)
>
> I thought It would do a index scan only for Products table, but it does not,
> why ?

Because an index is overhead and depending on the situation the planner
may determine it is better not to use it.

Post the results of:

EXPLAIN ANALYZE select Item_ID, Product_ID, Name from Items inner join
Products using(Product_ID);

That will help understand what the planner is doing.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com