Re: pgsql: Create libpgcommon, and move pg_malloc et al to it

От Erik Rijkers
Тема Re: pgsql: Create libpgcommon, and move pg_malloc et al to it
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On Tue, February 12, 2013 17:19, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Erik Rijkers wrote:

>> > Hmm?  I don't think this patch requires an initdb at all.  It doesn't
>> > touch the database contents at all, does it?
>> >
>> > Patches that force an initdb are flagged as such by bumping
>> > CATALOG_VERSION_NO.
>> >

>> I got this:
>>
>> The database cluster was initialized with PG_CONTROL_VERSION 934, but the server was compiled
>> with
>> PG_CONTROL_VERSION 935
>> HINT:  It looks like you need to initdb
>>

>> But I immediately admit that I could well be mistaken;  it may have been an older commit that
>> triggered this  complaint of 'needing initdb' on this particular machine.  My apologies.
>
> Ah, yes, that's 62401db45c.
>
> I'm not sure are you suggesting, though.  Are you saying that the commit
> message should explicitely state "this patch requires initdb" or some
> such?

I was under the impression that this was habitually done in commit messages, but looking back
through the commitlog messages it's not all that clear although sometimes catversion bumps are
explicitly mentioned.

Let's just say that an explicit mention/warning is useful for me, so probably for some others too.
 At the same time I'll start monitoring PG_CONTROL_VERSION and CATALOG_VERSION a bit more closely.
 That's easy enough too of course...

Thanks,

Erik Rijkers

Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Create libpgcommon, and move pg_malloc et al to it
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: Create libpgcommon, and move pg_malloc et al to it