Re: Best COPY Performance

От Worky Workerson
Тема Re: Best COPY Performance
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> http://stats.distributed.net used to use a perl script to do some
> transformations before loading data into the database. IIRC, when we
> switched to using C we saw 100x improvement in speed, so I suspect that
> if you want performance perl isn't the way to go. I think you can
> compile perl into C, so maybe that would help some.

Like Craig mentioned, I have never seen those sorts of improvements
going from perl->C, and developer efficiency is primo for me.  I've
profiled most of the stuff, and have used XS modules and Inline::C on
the appropriate, often used functions, but I still think that it comes
down to my using CSV and Text::CSV_XS.  Even though its XS, CSV is
still a pain in the ass.

> Ultimately, you might be best of using triggers instead of rules for the
> partitioning since then you could use copy. Or go to raw insert commands
> that are wrapped in a transaction.

Eh, I've put the partition loading logic in the loader, which seems to
work out pretty well, especially since I keep things sorted and am the
only one inserting into the DB and do so with bulk loads.  But I'll
keep this in mind for later use.

Thanks!