Re: AMD, Intel and RAID controllers

От Alpesh Gajbe
Тема Re: AMD, Intel and RAID controllers
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Benjamin Minshall <minshall@intellicon.biz> wrote:
Hello all,

I'm looking for your general thoughts on CPU brand and HP disk controllers for a PostgreSQL server running Linux.  The workload is all over the place sometimes OLTP, sometimes huge/long report transactions, sometimes tons of inserts and warehouse so I'm looking for overall good performance but not necessarily tuned to a specific task.  I'm basically looking at something in the ProLiant DL380 series which boils down to Intel Xeon 5500 or AMD Opteron 2600.  Are there any notable performance concerns regarding Postgres on either of these cpus?

We have a Proliant DL585 G5 with 16 cores and 32 GB Ram in the terms of processors we found that buying amd makes much more sense because in the same price we could put more processors
on the machine and utilize the multiple cores effectively with PG

RAM will likely be in the 16GB range.  Any comments on bus speeds or other issues related to the RAM?

What is the opinion on HP disk controllers?  The standard controller on this server line is the Smart Array P400 (512MB BB cache) although the option is available to go up to P600 or P800.  I plan to need about 500GB (8 146GB disks, raid 10).  Are the HP controllers worth my time or should I be looking elsewhere?

In my experience P400 is  good enough that is if you don't plan to go for separate storage boxes.

Finally, I'm thinking 10k RPM SAS drives are appropriate.  Does the substantial price increase for 15k RPM drives really show in the overall performance of the storage array?

Not really

Thanks for your insights.

--
Benjamin Minshall <minshall@intellicon.biz>