Re: ALTER TABLE lock downgrades have broken pg_upgrade

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: ALTER TABLE lock downgrades have broken pg_upgrade
Дата
Re: ALTER TABLE lock downgrades have broken pg_upgrade  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/3/16 1:25 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> If we can put together a script that runs test.sh for various versions
> and then verifies the runs, we could use it in both buildfarm and
> coverage.

Not that that would be useless, but note that the value in this case
(and most others) comes from having a candidate object in the database
before upgrade that exercises the particular problem, mostly independent
of what version you upgrade from and to.  So far the way to do that is
to leave "junk" in the regression test database, but that's clearly a
bit silly.

I think the way forward is to create a TAP test suite for pg_upgrade
that specifically exercises a lot of scenarios with small purpose-built
test databases.

Then, the problem of having to compare dump output across versions also
goes away more easily.