Re: [HACKERS] Question on the 8.0Beta Version

От Adrian Maier
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Question on the 8.0Beta Version
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:59:56 +0200, Davide Negri
<davide.negri@zeropiu.it> wrote:
> Hello,
> i have installed postgres 8.0 beta3 as a program on my pc on windows xp. I
> have read on the installation note file that postgres server will not run
> with administrative permissions. I have read on your forum that this
> happened because i have installed the beta version: is it true that this
> happen only with the beta version? When will you plan to release the
> production version?

Hello,
The fact that postgres cannot be run by Administrator is not a
"limitation" of the beta version. This is the intended behaviour
and i don't think that it would change. In UNIX, postgres
reacts the same way: it refuses to start when run by root
(root is the admin user) because it is a bad practice to start
services as root - for security reasons. This idea might be
unfamiliar for the windows users who are used to run
everything with admin rights...
(In fact, we are talking about a feature: a user does not need
to be administrator in order to run PostgreSQL).

Best wishes,
Adrian Maier