Questions about pg_dump file

От John Browne
Тема Questions about pg_dump file
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
I had a-couple of questions regarding the text formatting in the pg_dump file.

First, when dumping my database, I seem to be getting inconsistent
end-of-line characters.  Some lines end with the *NIX-style \n and
some end with Windows-style \r\n.  Now, I have created this database
over about a-year or so and I have tested various clients (psql,
pgadminIII, etc) during that time.  I'm suspecting they are coming
from one of the Windows clients, but shouldn't the \r\n end-of-line
characters be converted to \n when a dump is created?  Is this the
expected behavior?  I know the output of pg_dump could be piped
through perl or sed or something to strip/convert them.  I just didn't
know if there was an easier way.

Second question...   I have noticed that a pg_dump file keeps the text
formatting, ie, tabs, spaces, etc. for any user-defined functions.
The function looks like it should, and is readable, in the pg_dump
file, with all of it's formatting.  A view, however, ends up all on
the same line.  This is fine for simple views, but for more
complicated view definitions it can be difficult to read.  Is there a
way to get postgres/pg_dump to keep it's text formatting (tabs,
spaces, etc) for the view definitions like it does for functions?  Or
is this even feasable?

Thanks for the help

JB