Re: Speeding up creating UPDATE/DELETE generic plan for partitionedtable into a lot

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: Speeding up creating UPDATE/DELETE generic plan for partitionedtable into a lot
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Kato-san,

On 2018/12/21 15:36, Kato, Sho wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to speed up the creation of UPDATE/DELETE generic plan for tables partitioned into a lot.
>
> Currently, creating a generic plan of UPDATE/DELTE for such table, planner creates a plan to scan all partitions.
> So it takes a very long time.
> I tried with a table partitioned into 8192, it took 12 seconds.
>
> In most cases, since the partitions to access are partial, I think planner does not need to create a Scan path for
everypartition.

What do you mean by "since the partitions to access are partial"?

> Is there any better way? For example, can planner create generic plans from the parameters specified for EXECUTE?

Well, a generic plan is, by definition, *not* specific to the values of
parameters, so it's not clear what you're suggesting here.

Thanks,
Amit